17 January 2012

What Kate Did... Went to Venice

After a week in Rome Tom and I took a short plane journey to Venice for two nights, this was long enough to see the main sights and any longer may have required us to take out a small loan (a glass of Coke was £25!).

We carried on in much the same way as in Rome, lazily mooching from one place to another sampling as many flavours of gelato as possible. Venice was stunning, and definitely somewhere that I would recommend you visit if you are in Italy or travelling around Europe. It's a very small place and you can get around easily on foot so I would say 3 nights is the most you need. Anymore than that and you might lose your patience with the swarms of tourists in tiny alleyways!

Everywhere you look you see something beautiful, here are a selection of my best photos. We went in September and it was overcast for the first day so the mist has spoilt my snaps a bit.





Santa Maria della Salute






Basilica San Marco

Piazza San Marco





The view from the top of Campanile, it was worth all the steps to the top!









We stayed in the cheapest hostel we could find, Geremia Rooms, in Venice, and two nights there still cost more than a week in a lovely hotel in Rome! It was boiling as they had no air conditioning but as students it was very budget friendly. The location was great as it was so close to both the train and coach stations, ideal for getting to from the airport.

Eating was really easy for a vegetarian as in Italy you can order simple pasta with pomodoro and no cheese everywhere. No need to worry about stealthy rennet getting into your dinner. Pasta does tend to be served in a small portion which is meant to be eaten before a meat course but nowhere did we have any issues ordering a larger portion as a main. Many pizzas were served without cheese making things simple for vegans.

Top tip for Venice: the public water bus costs only a few euros (about £3 in 2011) and the route takes you past so many sights and drops you off in Piazza San Marco. A much more affordable alternative to a gondola ride, and no risk of falling in!

8 comments:

  1. Stunning photos, looked like a great trip :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)

      Yes it was good, I would recommend it x

      Delete
  2. This looks beautiful! I'll be going there this summer, and now I'm just too excited!

    -kim
    found the route

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE Venice, it's so beautiful :) i really want to go back after looking at this pictures!

    http://www.spiral-static.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would absolutely love to go to Venice. Gorgeous pictures, it's such a beautiful place. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. awww venice is an awesome place!
    I love those photos :)

    http://bubblemylicorice.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice photos Katherine. I've never been to Venice, but I would like to. Thanks for visiting my blog. My pot is cast iron, fabulous and from Le Cresuet, but goole pro cook. I have one from them too, just as good, but over half the price.

    ReplyDelete